Jon Working Honey Bees

Jon Working Honey Bees

Jon's Bio

I graduated from SIUC in 1981. After college I worked as an officer in the Air Force until retirement in 1997. I had a second career teaching middle school science and retired again in 2010. In 1968 I married my high school sweetheart, Shirley, and we have two beautiful daughters and four grandchildren.
I have always loved to study natural history and bees are a fantastic organism for that pursuit. Their communication, cooperation, and life cycles are amazing. It is fun just to sit by the hive and watch them rush in and out with their cargo. Beekeeping tunes you into the ecology of plants in your area as you learn which ones produce the nectar and pollen the hives depend on. This knowledge is a key ingredient of hive management. Many of the posts I make on this blog will be about plant happenings.
I am also interested in fishing and woodworking. I enjoy animal husbandry and have raised many kinds of poultry. Currently I only have a couple of yard dogs and three Boston Terriors.
Thanks to the MV Beekeepers for hosting this site.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 17 Play Flight

The hive on the left is the package I installed on 6 April.  The newly emerged bees were doing play flight this afternoon.  It was just too cool.  The air was full of bees in a 25 yard sphere around the hive.  I went through the whole hive on Monday and there were no queen cells, so this new field force should be packing in the honey soon.  The small hive on the right is the virgin swarm I hived one week ago.  I put them on a shallow box of empty comb.  Opened them for the first time today and the new queen has just started laying.  There are eggs on two of the frames and no hatched brood. 

2 comments:

  1. Orienting flights by the new bees? So cool to watch!

    One of my hives went nutso one afternoon last week. The air was thick with swirling, swirling, swirling bees. I'm pretty sure they were just doing orienting flights but I guess, since I didn't look too closely, they could have been being robbed. *crossing fingers* It was a madhouse, whatever they were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With robbing, you will get stings when you get near the hives as the bees are angry.

    ReplyDelete